Saturday, September 14, 2013

Day to Day in Bussy le Grand and Day One of Patrimoine

Friday September 13th (HMMM!)

Welcome to 8 rue du Bas, Bussy le Grand
I am taking a break today from previous posts of where I- and-or-we went to telling you more day-to-day stuff...at least two days! When I decided I wanted to come to France for a year-or close to it- I really wanted to live here....Instead of living in Weston, I wanted to live here...all those mundane things that we do everyday-except I am not thinking too much about selling houses-NOT that that is mundane!

After getting up and doing my exercises, I had breakfast -muselix and nectarine and tea. I did a wash, which is slightly different than our washing machines. The soap is added to a dispenser in the front left in a drawer which slides out. There is a dryer here, which is somewhat unusual. However, Americans own this house! Usually everyone hangs their clothes either outside or on drying racks. (I opted to hang today!) However, the dryers here do not have the same venting system we know, so the water that is removed from the clothing collects in a tray underneath the dryer which needs to be emptied maybe every 4-5 times the dryer is used.

The Tourist Information or TI has a thorough listing,  published every Friday, for many activities in the immediate vicinity.  (Last week I went to two different terrific concerts-details in a future post, which I learned of through this posting system.) So I wanted to get there today before noon, when it would then close for two hours.
Down the street from the house
This weekend is the 100th Patrimoine Celebration (legacy/heritage) all over France. The various towns choose how or if they want to celebrate through special open houses (or open chateaux?) or different sorts of tour. I had learned of this two years ago, when I went to a wonderful gospel concert in Normandy with Mimi. This year I am ready...I need to plan the two days to see how much I can see. The weather isn't too promising for either day, but I'll head off with my raincoat and umbrella!
After I picked up the listing, I went to Super U, the larger grocery store in the next town, maybe 4 miles away. It also has some clothing and non-food items. Those who know me, know that I like grocery stores and grocery shopping!!! I NOW know this store quite well! I was really going just for some cheese, a baguette, and milk. As of this Sunday, the store will be closed, so I wanted to be prepared! (It has been open from 9-12 on Sundays, but will resume those hours in May.) However, as I entered, someone walked out with a rotisserie chicken, so-the power of suggestion and all- I added that to my list!
As you might imagine, every grocery store I have visited so far has HUGE displays of wine and wine and more wine. At prices that would make you stock up!! A very nice Cabernet Sauvignon for 2.60 euros ($3.46!) They have huge cheese display cases; ditto on the yogurts and puddings. They only have about 4'length of cake mixes!
If you do not bring your own bags, you pay .10 euro for each sac. You need to weigh and ticket most produce purchases also. Everyone bags his/her own groceries; the cashier sits (smart!). VERY often the cashier wants close to the exact change for your purchase. At some stores you need to put in a euro to release the big grocery carts; then you get it back when you return it.
Then I tried to plan what I wanted to see at least on Saturday. I've been watching the weather, and rain appeared pretty certain.
Of course, at times I am on the computer, trying to figure out different things. I have still NOT figured out the best telephone system!! It is quite confusing, to say the least. Plus, the fact that I do not have a French bank account really limits my flexibility with my telephone provider...more on that as I figure it out....hopefully!!

Saturday September 14th

There were three chateaux I wanted to go see.
First was Chateau de Nuits sur Armancon. I had picked up small flyer (5"x8") that read Les Costumes d'Elisabeth at this chateau. I'm always intrigued by period costumes, so I researched this a bit for address, etc.elisabeth-nicvert.fr  The Patrimoine brochure said it opened at 10; I arrived at 11; they were still putting up signs. I was the first to arrive. They looked a bit surprised to see me! However, a man stepped forward-once they figured out where the English translation was to help me on my visit. He walked me around the chateau, describing various things about the facade and the history. He spoke a little English; I tried with my pidgin French, and we did fine. (He was SO polite, he said I did okay with my French!!) It turns out his name is Edouard Bertauld, and the chateau belongs to his family. While he lives in Paris, when he is in Nuits, he sleeps up on the second floor, he told me.
Edouard in the game house; note hoop in his hand.

Chateau from the rear





And then I was off on my own in this wonderful old space! Places like this where you can take pictures and wander around are much more interesting to me! The Hunting Room was taken over by the Germans during the war, so some things were changed, such as the sign with the bear(below). There was small room with narrow bed which served as a prison over the years. It even housed people from the Resistance.

There were a number of gowns (need to figure out exactly who Elisabeth was!), and there were signs saying they are for sale.


One of the rooms on the second floor was the childrens' play room.
My guide, for sure!


IF I had seen Edouard again, I would have asked him if this were he; are those your clothes?


And my visit was over; my next stop was very near by at the Chateau d"Ancy le Franc, mentioned in the Lonely Planet. By the time I arrived, it was pouring! This Italian Renaissance chateau allowed no pictures, but did have an audio guide, so that was helpful. Much of it has been renovated recently. Today they let us see several rooms which will be renovated. It was amazing to see the difference! It always amazes me all the history here!
Main entrance

The owners would go there to relax and set off fireworks after dinner!


 I then drove to Chateau-Epoisses, but unfortunately it is only open tomorrow-not both days, like most places...too bad, but my mistake. I headed home, still very pleased with what I had seen and learned!

NOW I need to decide what I will see tomorrow....

Thanks for traveling along!

4 comments:

  1. When I first returned to US, I put my loose produce in thin plastic bags provided and then looked everywhere to find place to weigh and put on price sticker. When I asked people, they thought I was crazy so just apologized to cashier at check out who explained US system.

    And didn't you feel so smart having used my washer and dryer in Paris? I try to explain the dryer here so often, or did, as it gives so much more flexibility re location of dryer if it doesn't need plumbing connection.

    I'm loving your year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just delighted to have you traveling along!!:))

    ReplyDelete
  3. I look forward to reading your blogs to brake up the mundane that you left behind.

    ReplyDelete