Saturday, April 26, 2014

My Wanderings took Me to Castelo de Sao Jorge

There is still much to see, as there will be sights unseen when I leave next Friday!

Just as there is the management of wandering around, I LOVE the travel philosophy of seeing the city/country/place, as I wander around! Some days I just go out and go...wherever the day takes me! Some days I am more scheduled, but with all this time, I do not have to rush!
 On this morning, I started down the hill into the city....craning my neck to see what I could see.
 There is, of course, a huge church on nearly every corner!


Eventually I came to the neighborhood where the Fado Museum is (more about fado in another post!). Up and around the corner I smelled barbecuing, and I saw two men huddled over a little grill. It was easy to figure out which restaurant they were cooking for! For 8 euros, I had a tasty lunch! (This even included bread, which often has an extra charge in Portuguese restaurants.)

I had thought it was beef, but upon tasting, pork!

St. George


Castelo de Sao Jorge is the #1 sight to see in the DK Eyewitness Travel Top 10 Lisbon guide. The site of Lisbon's first settlement, three are Moorish remains, which Alfonso Henriques, the first king, took in 1147. Restored in 1938, after years of neglect, it is interesting in itself and a relaxing place to visit as well.






My birder friends would have loved the majestic peacocks! I had NO idea what the noise was until I saw them!


Art galleries as I walked down the hill from the castle.


Judy Garland and the Tinman?


Come back soon to follow my final Lisbon wanderings!

No comments:

Post a Comment