Tuesday, April 29, 2014

VERY Important Elements of Portugal's History: Fado and the Carnation Revolution

I stopped by the Saturday market and had not realized when Peter and I were there how huge it was...still was not tempted, however!


Famous painting in the museum
I kept walking down the hill to visit the neighborhood and the Fado Museum. Fado is uniquely Portuguese folk music...somewhat melancholy from what I have been told.  (My Portuguese is VERY limited, even though Peter left me with a "cheat sheet"!) My Couch surfing friends here have told me that it is enjoying a resurgence with the younger generation of singers. There seem to be Fado bars all over the place...still more churches I would guess!Here is a youtube link to one song.

Guitar for fado is unique.

 Ana Sofia Varela, the singer on this youtube clip, was in the museum concert along with a standard guitar and a Portuguese guitar.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUoFZcB_Pbk
I stayed for the short concert (four songs) after my tour.
April 25, 1974 was the date of the Carnation Revolution, when the dictatorship was overcome. The "bloodless coup" ended the reign of terror. This year's celebration was its 40th anniversary. There were signs all over the city, and lots of celebrations-both the night of the 24th, as well as all day on the 25th. After my visit to the Fado Museum,I walked into the Placa da Comerica, which was the first place Peter and I had visited, and enjoyed the festivities.



Many carried or wore red carnations.



Various military equipment and soldiers around the square

Very nice band concert!
Thanks for traveling with me!

No comments:

Post a Comment