Friday, February 14, 2014

Ah, The Lure of Collioure, the Start of the Cote Vermeille....

February 14th

Happy Valentine's Day!!! I have been here in Collioure for two weeks today and enjoying a slower pace...yes, MUCH SLOWER PACE. So finally I will let you know what I have been doing and finding here.

FAUBOURG BEACH-closest to the flat

Church just up the street.

Square where the market is on Wednesdays and Sundays.

Bar Les Templiers where famous painters paid for their drinks with their works down on the left.


Cathedral

Okay...same shot but by day....

People in Nice asked me "Why Collioure?" The real reason is that my friend Nancy's friend Kathleen has a place here, so I rented it. It, like Nice, is also on the coast. However, Collioure is a real summer resort, so it is very, very quiet, now, especially compared to Nice! However, the opportunity to live on the sea-practically-is great!


Alas, there are no Meetup groups near by, but I have met two women, so we've had some dinners and "field trips"!

I took the bus over to Perpignan; it was one hour by bus, and would have been 20 minutes by car....So I visited the Palais of the Kings of Majorica




.

It was another effort updated by Vauban, whose home-oops-palace-I had visited in Burgundy.









Fort Liberia which Vauban also built, but we didn't have time to see.





Statue of St, Peter at the town gate



Sally, whom I met through Joanna of Nice, and I went to Villefranche-de-Conflent, a Unesco listed town, and we walked through the ramparts, so in one hour we walked through eleven centuries of history. we were the only ones there, and we could only imagine how WILD it must be in season! Vauban also had a hand in an update to the Ramparts which we walked through.

Thanks for coming along, and come back to see what other adventures I will have here in Collioure!

No comments:

Post a Comment