Thursday, May 8, 2014

Visiting the "Must See" Gulbenkian Museum....

Manet's "Boy Blowing Bubbles"
Calouste Gulbenkian was an Armenian exile who went to Portugal and became very wealthy in the oil industry. He left all his money and his art collection to Portugal. Peter and I had time only to see the modern section of this museum in a totally separate building. This museum heads the list of Must See places in Lisbon.
It was a wonderful sunny Sunday afternoon when I returned to see the traditional section. There were lots of family groups inside and outside in the gardens and wonderful grounds. The museum is not that large, but had some wonderful European pieces, as well as some works by John Singer Sargent and Mary Cassatt. There was also a room devoted to Lalique's works.

della Robbia work

I love all things Venetian!!

Spotted as I searched for the museum

There was a Lego exhibit here.  (I didn't enter).
On my way out of the Metro stop, there was a woman who was confused about how to get out. I motioned her to follow me through after I swiped my ticket at the kiosk. Her name was Claudia, and she was from Brazil. I invited me to come with me, as I was returning to the Barrio-Alto Hotel for a glass of wine. She had  arrived the day before with her friend who was sick. She came with me and loved the view. We had a pleasant chat, and I invited her to join us for dinner on Tuesday.


Come on back to hear about Joanna (from Nice and Cornwall) and her friend Janey's visit.Thanks....

No comments:

Post a Comment