Saturday, August 10, 2013

Of the Paris Plage and Flea Markets...




For you reality show watchers....Pascale watches a French reality show translated as “Love in the Meadows”; it is about French farmers-men and women who are looking for companions. It has been on for seven years (only in the summer). I watched it with her the other night. Hmm…well, I am not a big reality show person under any circumstances, but it was interesting, although she did have to explain most everything to me. (Some things were obvious by the actions.)

Yesterday I made plans to meet Frederique
for lunch. She was my delightful couch surfing hostess, who took me to Nuit Blanche several years ago. I was to meet her by the Theatre Chatelet, but she could not find a place to park, so she picked me up, and we drove to the Ile de France. Picture us at one of the myriad
of little sidewalk cafes, where we had lunch and visited. I had the ham quiche and a tasty salad. Afterwards we walked around and had a famous Berthillon ice cream-very delicious, but really expensive for what you get. GOOD for the Paris experience, however,I guess.

I wanted to see the Paris “Plage” or the “beach”
which they set up along the Seine. In places they do bring in some sand, where some kids were playing. In other places they just had beach chairs where people were reading. There was even a portable library
Building on the left is the library.
so people could take out books. In one area they had a picture display of how the Seine has changed with copies of famous Impressionist prints.
We walked along and enjoyed the Seine and the lovely scenes of Paris in summer.

 

On my home, I stopped into buy a ticket to Giverny for Monday. It was to be an 11 minute wait as opposed to 30 minutes earlier in the morning. Alex helped me, and when I asked about the best place to buy a Tram ticket, he actually walked me over to the gate outside of this ticket area!!

Today I decided to visit some of the famous Paris flea markets, which was another first. The Lonely Planet had highlighted three; I got to two of them. Supposedly the largest in the world is at Porte de Clignancourt, which was my first stop. Well, I may have missed something but ALL I saw was rows and rows of clothes and stuff, new and cheap.
Would have brought a hat home for Peter, if it were the end of my trip!
This says OFFICIAL U.S.MARSHALL ATHLETICS
I wandered around for maybe 45 minutes, before I headed to Porte


LUCKILY I am here for along time, or this would have had to come home with me!
de Vanves. This is the smallest of the three, but definitely more interesting, although many were closing as I arrived at 2:30. (Book had said it would be open 9-6.) But then the book also said it was the “friendliest of the lot”? I bought nothing-yeah!!

Thanks for traveling along with me, and I hope you will leave your comments!!

2 comments:

  1. so glad you got to Paris plage! loving following you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Delighted to have you along...since you can't be here in person!!

    ReplyDelete