Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Excellent Teamwork Exercise in the Collioure Commando Training

When I tried to learn more about the commando training here in Collioure, I could not find too much specific information. This did tell me a little more. As I have noted before, they are similar to US Navy Seals.
 http://troon-promotions.com/Chap%201%20P1.htm
 (This website also mentions the commandos, but this is such a pleaant description of Collioure, I am including it.) http://www.mileskington.com/More%20Miles/Travel/Collioure.html

Last Thursday when I went out for coffee with Marion and David, I distinctly did not bring my camera. What else would I see? The sea and the lovely scenery and what else? After coffee I walked to the Carrefour City for some groceries, and saw that a group of the Commandos were starting some sort of an exercise. And all I had was my phone!!!!
They had tree saplings which they had lashed together in an X-shape. As I watched, I saw them start to make the "bridge over the River Kwai". (I would guess it is not more than 4' deep there.)  Only one soldier lost his balance and fell in. Once the bases were in place, they started to add the crosspieces. As they started to go across, in a sort of half crouch, the person behind, stood on the cross piece to weight it down. There were two woman Commandos, and, of course, their weight was not enough to hold it down that much. When the first woman went across, she saw that the piece needed to be moved forward, so she and the guy behind her worked to fix the problem. In order to do that, she took very small jumps so he could kick the piece forward. Some of the Commandos had one obviously heavy backpacks, while some carried one in front and one on his back, but my dying iphone did not get too many pictures. (In fact, no photos of the backpacking Commandos going across!) You will see one got into video mode, as does happen, when Murphy's Law takes over! It was fascinating to watch, needless to say! And NOW I will always take my camera with me!




MURPHY'S LAW....

No comments:

Post a Comment