Thursday, March 27, 2014

Ah, The Wearing of the Green Nice Style!

Well, I am not Irish, but I am from Boston, so I LOVE St. Patrick's Day. (In Boston they sell and serve corned beef at this time, which is called a New England boiled dinner.) Of course, the French barely notice St. Patrick's Day...just the ex-pats! I did see a far amount of folks dressed in St. Patrick's Day green-I did not interview them to see if they were really Irish!
There were three events planned by the Nice/Irish community. Before I left for Collioure, I had learned about it from Louise and Bernard Fitzpatrick from Dublin. I had my return trip tickets in hand before I left...how did I get to LOVE St, Patrick's Day?? (My mother hated Irish music? My friend Nancy's brother and four high school and college friends have had a St, Patrick's Day party every year since they were in college, and I have happily pulled out my green gear and attended a number of parties over the years.)
On Friday night some Irish actors did scenes from Irish plays in Monaco, but Lana and I had dinner with Tim and Mike instead. We ate at Olivier's, which prides itself on sourcing different olive oils all over France.People can order their olive oil from their website. With every course the owner came and poured the correct oil for each dish. (When Joan had come in October, she had read about this restaurant in the Delta booklet, and had wanted to go, but it was closed for the annual month-long holiday/olive oil search.) It was a good meal and great to see Mike and Tim again!
Sunday, after the Meetup coffee hour, I went to the English mass at St. Pierre d'Arene, where they would be signing Irish hymns. (Just wanted the whole Irish experience!) That was a good idea, except, my voice was beyond scratchy from whatever I was carrying around, so I didn't stay long. Plus the priest was difficult to hear and seemed quite bored with whatever he was saying! I walked across the Port to meet Lana and Graziella and others for lunch near Cocoa Beach.
Then we visited Irish artist Geraldine Sadlier's galley to see her work, which is mostly of Nice and surroundings. (After that Lana and I took an Irish break to go hear two different live groups in two different restaurants. We had light supper at the second place: delicious zucchini and cauliflower soup with white chocolate mousse!!!)

White chocolate mousse!!!


Monday night which was St. Patrick's Day was the big party at JAM. It was very Irish with the traditional green gear of hats and sunglasses and you-name-it! We were surprised by a short visit from Joe Hurt, a talented young piano player, who played a few songs for us. (He played for Billy Joel's 60th birthday party!) There were other performers-both singers and musicians, so it was great fun!!

Monday night which was St. Patrick's Day was the big party at JAM. It was very Irish with the traditional green gear of hats and sunglasses and you-name-it! We were surprised by a short visit from Joe Hurt, a talented young piano player, who played a few songs for us. (He played for Billy Joel's 60th birthday party!) There were other performers-both singers and musicians, so it was great fun!!


And I was back to Collioure, as my days in France come to an end...one wonderful and interesting experience after another filled with caring, funny, delightful friends-both old (as in times before this trip!!) to the new. Hopefully we will meet again-either in France or in Boston, or even Lisbon or Amsterdam!!
Next stop, Barcelona! See you there!!

No comments:

Post a Comment